CONSTRUCTION OF ELECTRONIC DISPLAY BOARD DISPLAYING WELCOME TO FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
Electronic Display Board is the use of screen or electronic display or electronic billboard whether Light Emitting Diode, Liquid Crystal Display or plasma screens to deliver information or advertisement such as television shows, movies and others form of information to the public, signpost such as Light Emitting Diode, Liquid Crystal Display and Plasma display format are available in all sector both private and public examples are hotels, faculty, hospitals, airport and roadways for the purpose of disseminating information to the general public. Globally, The video content of digital electronic display board is used as a communication medium most especially to create awareness, give direction for movement and also the level of infrastructure development, showing events and others activities going on in a place at a specific time. However this project is designed to be of a great used to the department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Heritage Polytechnic, Ikot Udota, Eket, Akwa Ibom State.
In most sectors of economics, both private and public, the used of
Electronic display board in dissemination information can not be over emphasized. The display concept of digital electronic display board system can not be contradicted with frontage static signpost. The information on the display screen can be frequently updated at any given time to save the cost of printing. Beside the ability to attract audience is a great advantage over static signpost. This is because of it crystallized display in nature.
- PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
Digital Electronic display board is designed to create awareness, giving direction and also the improve the level of infrastructure. It is also designed for the purpose of disseminating information:
Public information – news, weather, traffic and local (location specific) information, such as building, directory with map, fire exist and traveler information.
Internal Information – corporate message such as health and safety items, news and so forth.
Advertising – usually either related to the location of the sign or using the audience reach of the screen for general advertising.
Influencing customer’s behavior – directing customers to different areas, increasing the “dwell time” on the store premises.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The aims and objective of this project is:
- To show how electronic display board is constructed using LED and the principle of its operation
- To be familiar with the component used in construction of LED digital electronic display board system and their function.
- To show the usefulness of digital electronic display board in different sectors.
- To display the information that says “WELCOME TO FACULTY OF ENGINEERING”
1.3 SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
This study is of a great significant to all sectors in dissemination of information using digital electronic display board. Electronic display board is the most effective and modern way to instantly inform and communicate people around us. It is an efficient tool for guiding, education or motivating people for the desire purpose. It frequently used in airways, railways, roadways, restaurant, banks etc.
The essence of this project is to create awareness and that it is cheaper and more efficient to disseminate information using a digital electronic display board.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This section concerns itself with the delimitation of the study and it is also concerned with establishing the boundaries of this project. The researcher focuses on the construction of electronic display board system using LEDS, to display information on the screen with a dot matrix method on flash mode.
1.5 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The project faced numerous constraints and difficulties among which were, unavailability of the required electronic component, damaging of some component due to temperature increase in soldering iron, power interruption, time factor to carry more research on the related study and financial constraint, as a result of these, the study could not cover the LCD electronic display board.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- LED: (Light Emitting Diode), this is a two lead semi conductor light source which glows when a voltage is applied.
- RESISTOR: This is a passive two terminal electrical component that implement electrical resistance as a circuit element.
- CAPACITOR: A capacitor is a passive of two terminal electronic component that is used to store energy electro-statistically in an electric field.
- TRANSFORMER: A transformer is an electrical device that transfer energy between two or more circuits through electromagnetic inductive.
- TRANSISTOR: A transistor is a semi-conductor device used to amplify and switch electronic signals and electrical power. It consists of a semi-conductor with three terminals for correction.
- DC: (Direct Current), this is an electric current that flows in only one direction.
- AC: (Alternating Current), is an electric current that reverse its direction many times a second at a regular intervals, typically used in power supplies.
- POWER SUPPLY: Is an electronic device that supplies electric energy to an electrical load. The primary function of a power supply is to convert one form of electrical energy to another.
- I.C: (Integrated Circuit), another name for an integrated circuit is a chip, which can be defined as a small electronic devices made of a semi-conductor materials.
- COMPONENT: Based on this project, they are the physical element that forms the vital and integral part of the equipment.
- DISPLAY BOARD: It is referred to as a poster board, or poster bond along with quad charts for fast communication.
- RECTIFIER: Is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction. This process is called rectification.
- REGULATOR: (Automatic Control), a device that maintains a designated characteristic, as in: Battery regulator, Pressure regulator, Diving regulator, Voltage regulator.
MULTI VIBRATOR: This is an electronic circuit used to implement a variety of simple two-state systems such as oscillators and flip-flops.